- Chug sports beverages don’t sip. This reduces the length of time in contact with the teeth and is a better hydration practice (faster gastric emptying times).
- Follow sticky solutions with water and swoosh.
- Chew sugarless gum to reduce residue left on teeth.
- Brush, floss and rinse when your workout is done.
- Encourage young athletes to drink water in events lasting less than one hour.
- Teach young athletes responsible dental hygiene in sports.
- Teach young athletes that sports drinks are for sports only; not lunch, break, or after dinner beverages.
For more detailed information on this topic see: http://www.indental.org/uploads/Danger%20of%20Soda%20Sports%20Drinks.pdf